Apr 26, 2012

The Incredibles

Old School superheroes with CGI powers.
I have never been a fan of the latest trends in movies that are aimed at the youngest audiences. In fact, when I was a kid, I never really bought any of the Disney stories that were being sold in those days. I was more impressed with  live action movies aimed at kids, like E.T. the Extraterrestrial, The Neverending Story, The Goonies and stuff like that. However I loved cartoons, shows like Robotech, Transformers, Silverhawks, Thundercats and others just made my day. But as my brother grew up I had to follow him to the movie theaters and/or Blockbusters to watch the latest in kids movies. So I got the chance of watching the rise of the latest Disney/Pixar CGI movies. I never liked a single one of them. There was only one big exception, which I believe it was an obvious exception cause the movie was not only aimed at children. Yes! I'm talking about the amazing Dreamworks saga of Shrek. He made my day, I even bought the Blu Ray box set featuring the 4 films, and I had a  blast as I still have when I decide it's time to revisit Shrek's legacy. So, after watching many films I didn't like, I met my way with another big exception: The Incredibles.

The movie has an undeniably cool retro feel to it and it shows not only in the design of the picture but also in the music, which definitely sounds like something out of a 60's 007 flick. It is also unusually dark, especially for a Pixar flick. I'm not saying it's dark where people are getting their heads delivered to someone in a box or family members are sleeping with each other or anything like that but there were moments where I found myself wondering if a little kid might be able to deal with the intensity of what was going on on screen. Maybe it was the fact that the heroes were in very real danger most of the time. The bad guys weren't out to catch them as much as they were out to kill them. When you discover who the film's villain is, you can literally feel his anger coming off the screen. I may be over-exaggerating a bit but then again, it really is to the film's credit that it deals with human emotions in the way that it does.

Old School comic book heroes are back!
It's not easy for a retired superhero to cope with regular people's life.
You're about to meet a family of superheroes.
Even though you are watching a film that is populated by CGI characters, the emotions they convey in what they say and do come across as purely believable. Whether watching Bob Parr interact with people at his job or just sitting at his desk was something that rang true to me, just in the feeling of it. Everything about this movie has a very concrete feel to it, even while looking like something you'd see in a comic book. The computer graphics in general were absolutely amazing and the voice acting is excellent across the board, so good in fact, that I really can't pick a favorite from the entire cast. I have to say that Craig T. Nelson and Holly Hunter were very good as Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl respectively. They had a moment near the end of the film that actually touched me but you can see that for yourselves. Samuel L. Jackson was hilarious and thankfully, he wasn't overused. Dash and Violet were realized so well that every time they came up on screen, I loved every minute of it. Dash, in particular was one of the funniest characters in the movie. Jason Lee made for a formidable villain as Syndrome. I loved the fact that he was your typical antagonist but was also aware of the conventions surrounding such a role, like when he chides himself for 'monologuing'. He was also one ruthless bastard, I'll give him that. Even the bit part characters were hilarious. There was a kid on a tricycle in this movie who comes out twice and made me laugh out loud both times. 

Ultimate heroes.
a former fan can be a real pain in the arse
With The Incredibles, not only are the main characters great, but every other character they run into makes some kind of impression on you. That's exactly how The Incredibles is such a kick. Every character that appears will make you laugh or intrigue you in some way. I have to admit that I was laughing myself throughout the entire movie, especially with the character of Edna Mode who almost steals the movie. Man, even the end credits are awesome! I have to give the director Brad Bird a big thumbs up for this one. He pulled it off and hopefully this will attract attention to his other animated film, "The Iron Giant", which was sadly overlooked when it was released and is also a really great film.

Yes, cosplay erotica is always there.
Incredible shaved twat.
All in all, I can't recommend this movie enough. I left very satisfied and felt no need to compare this to the rest of Pixar's movies. This one is just as good if not better than any other animated movie released to date and rightfully deserves its place among the best animated movies of all time. The Incredibles were re-released to home video last year in the wonderful  HD format of the Blu Ray disc. The transfer is amazing, if you wanna buy it, go now and buy the Blu Ray edition. I own the 2 Blu Ray 1 DVD edition which features all of the interesting extras that complete the experience to make it incredible. 

Here's the movie trailer:

No comments: