May 5, 2012

The Avengers

The greatest comic book movie ever.

Knowing that  comic books movies are always important news is nothing new. In fact, we have been seeing the release of long awaited adaptations since the late 80's where Tim Burton started the hype by delivering us a Batman that wasn't for children only anymore. He sort of set the first stone into a major building. Comic book films were believed to be for kids only, and the grown up audiences were never considered as a target audience for such kind of movies. Time went by, and the movie industry made enough room for the comic book films  as to fit in all kind of audiences, the diehard connoisseurs, the anxious children, non believers and even stupid audiences (you know, the ones who watch Titanic type of crap)  So, when Marvel Comics  decided to follow DC Comics steps in the big screen, everyone got interested, and each new flick provided us with different flavours. The guys in Marvel Comics were genius. They took the time to release single films to explain the origin of their mightiest characters, and by adding a little story in common for each single character flick they would have no need for further explanations in an all-star movie. At first, I thought they wouldn't be able of making a good movie out of the Avengers because of the extended amount of characters they had to fit on screen. Luckily, I was fucking wrong. The Avengers is the best comic book movie of all times. Period! Forget Nolan's Batman and the overrated Spiderman movies, The Avengers is the ultimate. Believe me.

Natasha Romanoff, the hottest spy.
Nick Fury. Shield's chairman.
Black Widow, rape me please!
I have got to tell anyone who will listen that this is the best adventure movies I've ever seen. It's almost impossible to convey how pumped I am now that I've seen it. I purposefully avoid hyping myself for movies because when expectations are too high, nothing seems to be able to reach them. I usually avoid the hype train whenever possible. That said, I was jacked to see this movie and was fully aboard the hype train. It couldn't be helped. So, I was certainly open to intense disappointment had this movie not been good. I'm so happy to report just the opposite has happened.

The only word I can think of to describe this movie is astonishing. It's amazing work and everything I had hoped for and more. It's exceptional entertainment for the uninitiated but it has everything a fanboy could want to be sure. It has every little nuance of what a fanboy wants to see. One of the MANY things I loved was the tension and flat out conflict that arises between team members. It's not a two dimensional kids kind of shit a la "team wonderful that bands together to fight crime like the superfriends." Most don't like each other at fist and there is so much texture to be played. That is great because so many of these characters are larger than life. They have egos and the big guns aren't used to working with other people or even playing by the rules. Stark, Thor and Banner all work "the other side of the fence" so to speak. Then there's the Black Widow, Hawkeye and Captain America who are used to following orders and playing within a command structure. They are all thrown together in a wonderful and, best of all, believable fashion. Again, more than I ever dreamed possible.

Ironman, he knows.
Loki, a mean bastard.
The Hulk. Finally with a decent CGI and the face of the actor who portrays him.
The entire cast really delivered. You needed more than just action actors or stunt doubles to play all these parts. The pathos is there but so are the timing and true deep performances. Look, I was missing Ed Norton as much as anyone on that hype train I talked about but I'm so happy to say that Mark Ruffalo won me over. I hope he's locked up for the long haul because we don't need any more changes. Three was the lucky number for movie Banners. Every other actor in The Avengers that we've seen before is BETTER than their previous incarnation (EVERY single one) and of course, Robert Downey Jr. steals the show as the Ironman. I also have to fully disclose that I'm insanely attracted to Scarlett Johansson. I thought her Widow character was amazing but I'm definitely judging that through rose colored glasses. The character arcs that run there course during this film will surprise a lot of general audiences expecting nothing more than a Transformers type popcorn scarfdown.

Thor, wears L'oreal but still he's as hard as a rock.

They want to be heroes, they have no issues.
Heroes are born, not made.
I honestly don't want to give away ANY of the movie with this review because this is one film that needs every scene to be savored. Do yourself a favor and remain unspoiled. It's how I saw the movie (apart from what the trailers showed) and even though you're obviously reading this review, read no others with any kind of spoilers whatsoever. Experience the awesomeness for yourself. Avengers as a movie and as a team on screen is an unstoppable force. I'm just going to say, Hulk & Thor combination equals AWESOME and leave it at that. This movie defines MUST SEE. 
 
And one final piece of advice: watch it in 3D and/or Imax. The experience will be enhanced and you'll believe a man can fly again. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray release!!! Thumbs up for Joss Whedon for the most amazing directing and of course extra thumbs up for the writing of Zak Penn, Joss Whedon & of course Mr. Stan Lee and Mr. Jack Kirby. This is the 2012 movie you fucking must fucking see. So, go fucking see it now! Remember this year we have the end of the world. You don't fucking wanna fucking die without fucking watching this fucking masterpiece man!
 
How about a nude Black Widow?
Tits assemble!
In the meantime we can cum re-watching over and over again the amazing movie trailer:
 

No comments: