Sep 20, 2012

Austin Powers in Goldmember

Stick your goldmember up your ass!
I've said this before, and here I go again in case you didn't check our latest entry: the third instalment in the Austin Powers franchise it is just ok, and if you can skip it it will also be ok. While Austin Powers in Goldmember has its moments, such as the terrific opening credit scene (the best so far,) they are so few and far between making some of this movie's unbearable.

I didn't go to the theaters in 2002 as  I could have, I don't  remember the reason but I just didn't so, like many I waited for the home video release to rent it and enjoy it at home next to a cold glass of beer. After the movie was finished I spent most of the weekend looking for more beer and completely forgotten about the movie. The second time I watched it I thought "ok, let's give it one more try, maybe I was too tough with it"  so, Amazon had this "better together" special offer featuring the three films on DVD at $6 bucks and yep I bought the deal and I don't regret it cause the first two films blew my ass away with tons of laughter.

Enter Goldmember.
Beyonce neither can act nor she can sing.
This is an actor, and a sure plus in the film.
This time out, I got tricked. After being blown away by Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, nasty humour I was pumped up after the now-established opening dance scene of the third instalment. And I thought this would bring the series back on track. Unfortunately, it only goes straight downhill after that.

Austin captures Dr. Evil immediately in this chapter, but learns through a Hannibal Lecter/Magneto meeting that another Mike Myers's creation, Goldmember, is on the loose to cause havoc. Austin must race, literally, back in time, this time in the 1970's, to thwart Goldmember's plans. Back to the year 2002 he goes and everyone's where they're supposed to be situated to make an Austin Powers movie.

A few things have changed: Austin's dad (Caine) plays an important role, Scott becomes more evil while the always-scene-stealer Mini-Me loses some and more history of Austin and Dr. Evil's past is revealed.

Fat Bastard returns.
Fook Mi & Fook Yu
Foxxy Cleopatra dildoing.
Sure, the movie has its moments. Some parts I did laugh out loud. But for the most part, it was definitely getting stale, the jokes recycled and the newest, uh, member, Goldmember ,was unbearable to watch. Yeah, I know a lot of humor is gross-out jokes, but when he eats his skin (sorry, I never caught that spoof/reference) it's beyond nasty.

Again, it's worth maybe one viewing, but I have to almost say skip this one and pray, if they make a part IV, they'll attempt to reboot the series back to its hilarious roots. At least come up with some new jokes. 

Here's the movie trailer:

No comments: